Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Me and Kilroy down at the concert

Ofjoshua, JC II, and I just got back from seeing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. We met commenter Kilroy there. Nice guy. He yelled "Bring 'em [the troops] home" at one point a got a great response from the crowd. All the readers I've met are fantastic people.

The concert was fantastic. It was definitely the most political one I've seen--even more political than Ani Difranco, and that's saying a lot. I think Neal Young did every song on his latest album, and people went absolutely apeshit when he did "Impeach the President." The crowd also went nuts over the older CSNY song, "Ohio," which I think is one of the two greatest protest songs of all time--the other being Buffalo Springfield's "For What it's Worth" (another tune that wowed tonight's crowd).

Now that I think about it, there are other protest songs I like as much as those two. I'd rank Pete Seeger's "Waste Deep in the Big Muddy" and Barry McGuires "Eve of Destruction" up there with them. And what the hell, I've always liked Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" too. I'll admit that.

What are your favorites?

Ohio:



Here's an interesting video of Buffalo Springfield beginning with "For What it's Worth" and then suddenly shifting into "Mr. Soul." God, Neal Young is young in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.