Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Healing a nation

Gerald Ford's FBI:

"After I got there," Hamilton said years later, "Dave Price and Bill Wood and Gary Adams showed up. They were about the worst of the FBI agents on the reservation, though they did sort of keep their distance from me that morning. I had always sworn no matter what they did, they were never gonna see me cry, but I’d already gotten started before they got there. I heard one of them say, 'Well, she’s crying.' It hasn’t a sympathetic tone. They were making jokes and laughing and all that over there."

Special Agent Wood eventually introduced himself to Hamilton.

She said she knew who he was.

He asked if she had information about how Aquash had died.

She told him to go to hell.

[...]

A clutch of Aquash's friends, women chiefly, marked time outside the autopsy room.

"I thought, 'Oh shoot, these agents are having it much too easy today because we’re all so upset,'" Candy Hamilton recalled.

"So I started quarreling with Wood. I said, 'Her family's coming and we want her jewelry and personal items to give to them.'

“He said, ‘Well, that’s all evidence now, you can’t have any of that.’

"I said, 'That's not evidence--you couldn’t even identify her by 'em. We want it.'"

"He just sneered and walked out."

[...]

"Well, Wood came back in and was way across the room from me, and he said, 'Candy, you want something of Annie Mae's? Here'--and he threw a box across the room at me--'take her hands.' I caught it, and all the women turned and looked and said, 'What’s that?' And I said, 'He says it's her hands.' You could hear them rattling in there. Everybody was horrified. They hadn’t started the autopsy yet, so I went in the room where Peterson was. They still had her all covered up. I told him, 'It's really important for her to have all her body together. Could you put these in with her or put them back on her or something?' And he did, he sewed them back on at the end of the autopsy."

From The Unquiet Grave: The FBI and the Struggle for the Soul of Indian Country by Steve Hendricks.

Hendricks' radio interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.