Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Department of Book Reports 48: Our Top Ten for ‘07

SeattleTammy and I have been doing the book reports for almost a year now. We certainly enjoy doing them as we love talking about books. We decided that this, the last week of the year, a summation was in order. After all, we are often stopped by the troops in the streets and the most frequently asked question we get is “What were your favorite books this year?” So I will list my top five and then ST will list her top five.

The criteria I use in selecting from many fine books I read this year is “Would I read this book again?” The books below are all books I hope to re-read:
Tree of Smoke. This is a literary tour de force that would bear many re-readings
Heyday. Kurt Andersen’s masterful tale of America in 1848.
Soul Catcher. Another historical novel of Ante-Bellum America.
End of America. Naomi Wolf’s wake-up call to creeping fascism.
The Nine. Jeffrey Toobin’s incisive look at the recent Supreme Court.
~SD


At the top of my annual list is River, by Lowen Clausen
The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly. One I'm going to re-read every year.
Surveilence, by Jonathan Raban. On my TBR stack: Waxwings.
Nail Through the Heart, by Timothy Hallinan
Shadow Killer, by Matthew Scott Hansen
~ST


Best Calendar of the Year: The Lovely Mistresses of George W. Bush We have a few of these left, we'll give a troop discount of 20%!

I'd like to thank Miss Poppy for once again stuffing my stocking with lots of Baby Jeebus Goodness™®©!

democommie™™™™®© will be in charge of this weeks' survey. Tell him your favorite reads from this year.


These books are available at Jackson Street Books and fine Independent Bookstores everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.