Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Support Stand-Up Economics

Fellow Washington blogger* Yoram Bauman, the Stand-Up Economist, will be doing his comedy routine in NYC this week. His friend, Nato, will be doing the same in San Francisco. Check them out if you can.

I've met Yorum. He's a very funny guy.

Here's the email I recieved from Yorum (unfortunately, he seems to hate Christmas):

Happy holidays all around!

For those of you in---or with emailable friends in---New York City (where I'll be performing this week... if I can get enough people to come support me :) and/or San Francisco (where my friend and fellow comic Nato Green is hosting a show that he's developed called Iron Comic), here are some fun events:

Info about Nato's show in SF (which, sadly, I won't be able to attend):

In the joke arena, there can be only one gladiator of gag, only one paladin of punchlines, only one true Iron Comic. Here's the format: The iron comics will be given 20 minutes to write 2 minutes of material about a secret topic that they'll be given at the beginning of the show.And we'll have three secret topics. We'll have featured performers while the Iron Comics are writing. Oh, and it's free. Featuring comedians Ross Turner, Sam Arno, Chantal Carrere, Ali Wong, Nora Lavelle, and Nico Santos, with Iron Comics Chris Garcia, Yayne Ababa, Ian Jensen, Lisa Myers, and Sean Keane; hosted by Nato Green. Monday, December 12, 2005, 9pm, Gold Cane at 1569 Haight St., SF. For more information, email natogreen [at] rcn [dot] com.


Info about my shows in New York City that you can forward to friends:

You are invited to come see the world's first and only "stand-up economist" in his debut shows in New York City: December 12th, 13th, and 18th!

Okay, here's the deal: I recently got my PhD in economics (University of Washington, 2003) and have been performing stand-up comedy for almost two years. That means that I'm pretty good--especially for an economist--but not famous (yet :). I live in Seattle, but I've booked three shows during an upcoming visit to New York City, and I'd be thrilled to have you and your friends in the crowd. If you're interested, read on for more info. (And if you want to be on my email list for future NYC shows, drop me a line at [yoram [at] smallparty [dot] org].)

SHOW INFORMATION

* All shows last about 2 hours. Shows can be great, they can be disasters, but they're always great human drama and I'm confident that you'll have a good time. Be prepared for varying degrees of funniness and varying degrees of filthiness. All the clubs have bar menus in case you get the munchies.

* Show #1 (Monday Dec 12, "bringer" show and Aspen Comedy Fesival audition night at Stand-Up New York): Show starts at 9pm, but you need to get there by 8:30 to keep your reservation. Show costs $12 plus 2 drinks at $4+ each, so you're looking at $20 to support my comedy habit. If you're interested, here's what to do: (1) Call 212-595-0850 to make a reservation. (2) Tell them you're coming to see me (Yoram Bauman): this is important because if I don't get reservations for 5 people I don't get to perform. (3) It would be _great_ if you could call me [redacted] or email me [yoram [at] smallparty [dot] org] to let me know that you're coming to the show and that you've made reservations for x people; that way I will know how much to stress out about filling my quota, which can be tough when you're from out-of-town. (4) Show up by 8:30 and have a great night!
[Directions: Stand-Up New York is located at 236 West 78th Street, right off Broadway. Subway: 1 or 9 to 79th Street Stop.]


* Show #2: (Tuesday Dec 13, Air America presents "Satire for Sanity" political comedy with Barry Crimmins and friends at Rocky Sullivan's Irish pub): Show starts at 8pm; $10 cover.
Directions: Rocky Sullivan's is located at 129 Lexington Ave. (btwn 28th & 29th Sts.), 212-725-3871. Subway: Take the 6 to 28th St, walk one block east from Park to Lexington.


* Show #3 (Sunday Dec 18, "bringer" show at the New York Improv): Show starts at 7pm, but you need to get there by 6:45 to keep your reservations. Show costs $15 ($3 off for advance reservation) plus 2 drinks at $4+ each, so you're looking at $20 to support my comedy habit. If you're interested, here's what to do: (1) Call the "VIP line" (yes, that's what it's called :) at 212-631-1159 to make a reservation, preferably by 7pm on Thursday 12/15. (2) Leave a message saying that your party of x people is coming to see me (Yoram Bauman): this is important, because if I don't get reservations for 10 people by 7pm on Thursday 12/15 then I don't get to perform. (3) It would be _great_ if you could call me [redacted]) or email me (yoram [at] smallparty [dot] org) to let me know that you're coming to the show and that you've made reservations for x people; that way I will know how much to stress out about filling my quota, which can be tough when you're from out-of-town.

(4) Show up by 6:45 and have a great night! [Directions: The New York Improv is located at 318 W. 53rd St., right off the corner of Eighth Avenue. Take the C or E train to 50th St. andwalk three blocks north to 53rd St. Turn west on 53rd and look for our sign. OR take the 1 or 9 train to 50th St. and walk three blocks north to 53rd St. Turn west on 53rd St. and walk to Eighth Ave. and look for our sign. OR take the N , R , W , or Q train to 57th St., exit at the 55th St. exit, walk two blocks south to 53rd St., then go west until you hit Eighth Ave. and see our sign. OR (sheesh!) take the B or D train to Seventh Ave. and walk west on 53rd St. until you see our sign right after Eighth Ave.]

* Future shows in NYC: Email me at yoram [at] smallparty [dot] org to get on my email list. I promise not to misuse your email or otherwise be a pain in your neck.

Thanks!
yoram bauman
yoram [at] smallparty [dot] org
[Website]

*He blogs anonymously, so I can't direct you to his blog (no, he is not me).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.