Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Friday, July 13, 2007

Hear me roar

Women have made a lot of advances since I was a kid. In many states, they couldn't obtain credit independently, now they are CEOs. They've gone from being treated not much better than chattel to being presidential front runners. There's still a long way to go, but, damn, it makes you proud to be an American when you see how much things can change when enough people demand it.

Let's do feminist anthems this week. By that, I mean songs that empower women to fight for their rights or otherwise inspired them. Women, in addition to song submittals, I'd also like to hear your stories about songs that may have changed your lives.

I'll start it out with my favorite artist, Ani Difranco, and her song Not a Pretty Girl . Then, let's go to a song that seems dated an almost cliche these days, I am Woman by Helen Reddy. I think a lot of us forget the impact it had back in the day. I do think it changed the life of some of my classmates in high school. Then let's go with Just a Girl by No Doubt and get crazy at the end with Bikini Kill's I Like Fucking.

The playlist is called I am Woman. You can add or search for songs here.

username: jcchristian
password: ourmusic


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.