Help Me Reach 12 on the Manly Scale of Absolute Gender

If you like the patriotic work we're doing, please consider donating a few dollars. We could use it. (if asked for my email, use "gen.jc.christian@gmail.com.")
Thanks!

Friday, June 22, 2007

I hear dead people

This weekend, let's listen to musicians who died way too young. I don't know where to start. There are so many I want to add--Hendrix, Croce, Cass Elliot, Cobain (who I'm still mourning), Joplin (Janis, but how old was Scott when he died?)--but I have to leave some fro you, so I'll start out with my favorite songs from artists you might miss because of their genres. I'll begin with some blues by Stevie Ray Vaughan, follow it with my favorite piece by Mozart, and finish with a western song, one of the very few I like, by the great Hank Williams Sr. Feel free to add more songs by these three artists if mine aren't your favorites.

The name of the playlist is "I hear dead people." As always, I'm looking for you to help me complete it. You can add or search for songs here.

username: jcchristian
password: ourmusic




Bonus Playlist: The Macarthur Park Challenge

I recall reading that "Macarthur Park" is one of the most covered songs ever. I find that hard to believe, but I do know that it's been covered a lot and all of them are very bad (the worst being the Richard Harris version/ It ranks with Shatner's Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Nimoy's The Battle for Evermore--I can't find it but here's more Nimoy--and Paul Anka's Smells Like Teen Spirit as one of the worst covers of all time).That's expected--the original song is horrible. I mean, my God, "Someone left the cake out in the rain/all the sweet green icing flowing down/I don't think that I can take it/because it took so long to bake it/and I'll never have that recipe again."

Anyway, my challenge is for you to find a decent version of it. I'm betting you won't, but if you do, please add it to the Macarthur Park Challenge playlist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll try dumping haloscan and see how it works.